The Riders

The Riders
The end at Yorktown

Monday, June 13, 2011

6/13/11 What's so amazing about grace.

6/13/11
My family is encouraging me to report about what I am reading on this trip.  So periodically I will be talking about some insights that fit the book and this riding experience.  I have down loaded WHAT'S SO AMAZING ABOUT GRACE by Phillip Yancy to my Kindle.  I am about half way through it, and I am floored by his insights.  I decided to read it because I thought he might have complementary thoughts to LOVE WINS by Rob Bell.  He does.  I have enjoyed especially his insights about those folks who deliberately sin believing they will be forgiven anyway. More about that later.
OK so how does that fit this trip?  What sins are we deliberately committing?  HA. We're not telling. (None actually, we're too tired.)

Today - 77 miles from Eureka to Ely (EELEE). There were absolutely no services (no stores, gas stations, parks, porta potties, water sources - nothing.). The riders climbed four passes of 7,200 feet or more.  There was at lease one 10 mile down hill!  What a joy.  Another joy is the wind at our backs. Tomorrow from Ely to Baker there will be no services for 64 miles.  This is really rural country folks.  Our sag car is staying close.  The riders take off and an hour later Phil catches up to them with water and food.
This is a Motel 6 night.  Phil's not cooking tonight.  OK Jan I concede.  Cooking takes a lot of time, and planning takes some energy too. So maybe I can learn to share the load wen I get home. I cannot believe I just said that.

We have met a few interesting other riders.  Gary agreed to tell you about them.
Phil

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love it. Phil is finding out how much time cooking takes. Pete says his cooking is great and is being fed well. You guys need lots of calories for those mountains.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete